Monitoring & Evaluation Technical Specialist (deadline: 30 Jun 2017)
Our team is looking for an M&E technical specialist with at least five years experience to evaluate our strategic communications work on modern slavery, human trafficking, migration and CVE around the world. These evaluations will be conducted using Seefar’s model of evaluation for strategic communications, which demonstrates direct impact on target audiences. This is a consultant role with an expectation of multiple assignments throughout the year. Exceptional English writing skills are required in addition to strong technical M&E and analysis skills. You can be based anywhere in the world and travel to project sites is not required.
We are a social enterprise with a mission to work with vulnerable people to build a better future. We specialise in justice, migration and social inclusion. Our expertise is in strategic communications, counselling, consulting, monitoring and evaluation, and research. We work in East Asia, South Asia, the Middle East, East Africa, North Africa, the Sahel and Europe. For more information about us, please visit https://seefar.org/about-us
This role demands someone who is smart, intrinsically motivated, worldly and interested in hard challenges. Seefar has a track record for delivering projects in East Africa, West Africa, North Africa, Europe, the Middle East and Asia to benefit vulnerable people.
To get a sense of the strategic communications activity we specialise in at Seefar, please visit https://seefar.org/strategic-communications/. You can also see examples of work from our M&E practice here https://seefar.org/services/monitoring-and-evaluation/.
We are looking for people with:
- At least five years experience in monitoring and evaluation assignments and consultancies, including the assessment and appraisal of effectiveness and efficiency of programs
- Strong analytical skills and a track record of supporting teams with quantitative data analysis
- Experience with qualitative data and an understanding of theory of change and evaluation criteria of effectiveness and efficiency
- Experience in programmatic reporting and communication of robust and defensible data that meet internal and external requirements
- Proficiency in spoken and written English
- Effective prioritisation and organisational skills, with an ability to work under pressure with minimal supervision
- Outstanding attention to detail
- Interpersonal skills and an ability to coordinate with teams
- Preferably thematic expertise in migration and/or human trafficking and modern slavery
The following are the primary responsibilities of the role, with estimated allocations of time and attention.
Deliver: Project and Mission Implementation
Approximately 90% of your time and attention:
- Reviewing project background and implementation materials.
- Creating and reviewing project theories of change.
- Analysing project evaluation data.
- Liaising with internal and external stakeholders to ensure alignment.
- Writing evaluation reports, including findings and making recommendations.
- Coordinating the review and commentary on the reports, on the basis of which to make improvements.
- Other M&E and administrative tasks as required.
Develop: Capabilities and Program Portfolio
Approximately 10% of your time and attention:
- Provide technical expertise into program and project development.
- Developing and refining internal and project M&E systems.
Working with Seefar
Current and former personnel have noted the points below as positive features of Seefar’s work environment and culture:
- The Enterprise combines entrepreneurialism with a focus on social impact.
- You work with highly diverse people and across a diversity of contexts.
- There is a high level of trust that supports you to work autonomously.
- The people in the Enterprise encourage innovation and experimentation.
- Achieving results is prioritised over rigid structures and workflows.
- You are never bored and always challenged.
Current and former personnel have noted the points below as negative features of Seefar’s work environment and culture:
- Collaborating with geographically dispersed teams requires flexibility and patience.
- Working remotely can make you feel isolated and so requires you to invest time in communication.
- Travel schedules can sometimes be heavy.
- A high-growth phase means problem-solving as the Enterprise’s systems evolve quickly.
- It can be fast paced so you need to be productive and able to prioritise effectively.
An Excellent Candidate
To excel in this role, you will start with extensive experience working as monitoring and evaluation specialist or researcher, preferably with familiarity on issues such as migration, human trafficking or modern slavery. You have delivered assignments requiring an assessment of effectiveness and efficiency of programs on the basis existing data. You have strong analytical skills, with skills in quantitative data analysis and familiarity with qualitative data. You have advanced experience with Google Sheets and/or Excel. Your English writing skills are excellent and you have the ability to synthesize metrics into clear and concise reports. You are highly organised, have the ability to prioritise and are highly productive. You have excellent decision-making and problem solving abilities. You have the ability to coordinate and work with a multi-cultural team. You will be motivated by an Enterprise performance framework focused on social impact.
To apply for this Role
On or before 30 June 2017, complete our online application form. Before you start, you should do the following:
- Confirm you meet these minimum requirements:
- At least five years of direct experience in monitoring and evaluation
- Track record of delivering assignments to clients
- University degree in social sciences, statistics, population sciences, M&E or other relevant field
- Exceptional English writing skills
- Expertise in quantitative and qualitative data, specifically in data collection, collation, analysis and reporting
- Computer application skills with working knowledge of appropriate software packages, with an advanced knowledge of spreadsheet or other database packages
- Preferably have thematic expertise in migration and/or human trafficking and modern slavery
- Prepare a CV in Word or PDF format. You will upload this in our online application form.
- In Word or PDF format, attach an example of an evaluation report or assignment you have recently completed and written yourself.
Note that Seefar also has an M&E practice and will hold your CV on file for other positions that you may be suitable for.