Adaptive Counsellor – India (2x Mumbai, 2x Kolkata) (deadline: 31 May 2020)
Seefar, in partnership with its local entity, The Ethical Recruitment Agency, is searching for four Counsellors; two in Mumbai and two in Kolkata.
A Seefar Counsellor has responsibility for providing one on one adaptive counselling sessions for beneficiaries of Seefar’s LIFT: Transformational Livelihoods for Survivors on the ground. You will provide counselling support to victims of commercial sexual exploitation (CSE) in India. You are an empathetic person with 2 years experience as a counsellor and an undergraduate degree in Psychology, Counselling or similar. You will have a demonstrable interest in working with vulnerable communities. You are someone who is intrinsically motivated, well organised, and an effective communicator. You speak English and at least one Indian language.
This is a full time position, and travel to the project implementation site in Mumbai or Kolkata is required.
We are a social enterprise with a mission to work with vulnerable people to build a better future. We specialise in justice, migration and social inclusion. Our expertise is in strategic communications, counselling, consulting, monitoring and evaluation, and research. We work in East Asia, South Asia, the Middle East, East Africa, North Africa, the Sahel and Europe. For more information about us, please visit http://seefar.org/about-us
Deliver: Project and Mission Implementation
- Provide group training and e counselling sessions to victims of CSE.
- Support the Local Psychologist and the Counselling Lead to stabilise participants and provide a therapeutic recovery environment in Kolkata.
- Deliver regular performance reports, and make yourself reachable during your working hours to your Supervisor.
- Liaise with local stakeholders and the broader community of interest when requested, and represent Seefar and TERA as required.
Direct: Global Management
- Represent and demonstrate the Enterprise’s values.
Working with Seefar
Current and former personnel have noted the points below as positive features of Seefar’s work environment and culture:
- The Enterprise combines entrepreneurialism with a focus on social impact.
- You work with highly diverse people and across a diversity of contexts.
- There is a high level of trust that supports you to work autonomously.
- The people in the Enterprise encourage innovation and experimentation.
- Achieving results is prioritised over rigid structures and workflows.
- You are never bored and always challenged.
Current and former personnel have noted the points below as negative features of Seefar’s work environment and culture:
- Collaborating with geographically dispersed teams requires flexibility and patience.
- Working remotely can make you feel isolated and so requires you to invest time in communication.
- Travel schedules can sometimes be heavy.
- A high-growth phase means problem-solving as the Enterprise’s systems evolve quickly.
An Excellent Candidate
We are looking for someone with:
- Minimum of 2 years professional experience as a counsellor
- Hold an undergraduate degree
- Based in Mumbai or Kolkata
- Previous experience of facilitating training is mandatory
- Fluent/Superior writing skills in English, Hindi, and either Marathi or Bengali
- Excellent communication skills
- Interpersonal skills and an ability to coordinate with teams and local stakeholders.
- Demonstrated experience working with vulnerable groups, and a thorough understanding of confidentiality.
- Expertise in one or more of Seefar’s themes (modern slavery, migration, security/justice) preferred but not required.
To apply for this Role
Please apply on or before 31 May 2020 by completing our online application form. Before you start, you should do the following:
- Confirm you meet these minimum requirements:
- Have 2 years professional experience as a counsellor, with expertise in one or more of Seefar’s themes
- Holds an Masters degree
- Have previous experience facilitating trainings
- Complete fluency in oral and written English, Hindi, and Marathi or Bengali
- Be based in Mumbai or Kolkata
- Prepare a CV in Word or PDF format. You will upload this in our online application form.
- Prepare an introductory letter of no more than 2 pages, in Word or PDF format. This will also be uploaded in our online application form