Ethiopia Programme Manager – Call for CVs (deadline: 14 Jul 2019)
Seefar is seeking CVs from excellent candidates for the role of Ethiopia Programme Manager, to oversee an anticipated new project focussing on research, M&E and reporting across a range of sectors in the country. The target beneficiaries will largely be from civil society and government. The post-holder will have responsibility for leading the project on the ground, coordinating the input of Seefar technical experts outside Ethiopia, and maintaining relationships with local stakeholders. You will be the local face of the project, engage with stakeholders and manage the project results. You will recruit, supervise and lead a team with the support of senior technical experts at Seefar.
You will have: demonstrated project management experience in the development sector and a strong track record in donor liaison. You will have significant experience overseeing and quality assuring M&E and reporting on complex projects. Your thematic experience should be in one of the following areas: social protection, migration; gender and women’s empowerment; governance. You will be a natural communicator and very responsive; be results focussed and have complete fluency in English.
This position will be based in Addis Ababa and will be for an initial 12-month contract, with a likelihood of extension, subject to funding.
The post-holder will need to have a pre-existing right to work in Ethiopia.
We are a social enterprise with a mission to work with vulnerable people to build a better future. We specialise in justice, migration and social inclusion. Our expertise is in strategic communications, counselling, consulting, monitoring and evaluation, and research. We work in East Asia, South Asia, the Middle East, East Africa, North Africa, the Sahel and Europe. For more information about us, please visit http://seefar.org/about-us
To get a sense of the services we specialise in at Seefar, please visit http://seefar.org/services.
For examples of projects relevant to the Migration Program, please visit
Seefar continues to grow and this role is a new one which will be responsible for coordinating a new project on the ground and to help with our growth in Ethiopia. The role requires someone with five years professional experience in managing teams and implementing projects and who is smart, intrinsically motivated, worldly, interested in hard challenges and is highly flexible and efficient.
The following are the primary responsibilities of the role, with estimated allocations of time and attention.
Deliver: Project and Mission Implementation
Approximately 90% of your time and attention:
- Recruit, supervise, develop and lead local teams and team leaders.
- Develop, oversee and quality assure training and capacity building plans on M&E for project team and target beneficiaries.
- Liaise with stakeholders (governmental, civil society, and donors) and the broader community of interest.
- Represent the project at senior donor liaison meetings
- Oversee and manage research and data collection for M&E purposes
- Quality assure M&E reports and use them to provide high quality, results based reports for the donor
- Liaise with Seefar’s international technical experts (senior M&E adviser; Research teams etc.)
- Fulfill project management responsibilities using our internal project systems and processes
- Provide inputs to Seefar’s other activities in Ethiopia and the wider region relating to migration, displaced people, human trafficking and modern slavery.
- Other tasks as directed.
Develop: Capabilities and Program Portfolio
Approximately 10% of your time and attention:
- Develop project teams. For example, this would include mentoring teams and leading recruitment.
- Learning, growing and developing professionally and personally.
- Strengthen the Enterprise’s reputation and profile in our areas of expertise.
Direct: Global Management
- Represent and demonstrate the Enterprise’s values.
Your work will require you to undertake occasional local travel to project implementation sites around Ethiopia.
Working with Seefar
Current and former personnel have noted the points below as positive features of Seefar’s work environment and culture:
- The Enterprise combines entrepreneurialism with a focus on social impact.
- You work with highly diverse people and across a diversity of contexts.
- There is a high level of trust that supports you to work autonomously.
- The people in the Enterprise encourage innovation and experimentation.
- Achieving results is prioritised over rigid structures and workflows.
- You are never bored and always challenged.
Current and former personnel have noted the points below as negative features of Seefar’s work environment and culture:
- Collaborating with geographically dispersed teams requires flexibility and patience.
- Working remotely can make you feel isolated and so requires you to invest time in communication.
- Travel schedules can sometimes be heavy.
- A high-growth phase means problem-solving as the Enterprise’s systems evolve quickly.
- It can be fast paced so you need to be productive and able to prioritise effectively.
An Excellent Candidate
To excel in this role, you will have at least five years professional project and personnel management experience in the development sector, ideally in Ethiopia or East Africa. You will have experience liaising with donors, and coordinating complex projects. You will have complete fluency in written and spoken English. Amharic is an advantage. You have an undergraduate degree, are highly organised, communicate regularly and effectively, have the ability to prioritise and are highly productive. You are naturally responsive and are client focussed, while also able to work autonomously. You are motivated by an Enterprise performance framework focused on social impact.
To apply for this Role
On or before 14 July 2019, complete our online application form. Before you start, you should do the following:
- Confirm you meet these minimum requirements:
- A minimum of five years professional experience
- Have the right to work legally in Ethiopia
- Experience in M&E and reporting.
- Experience in managing development projects including donor liaison and coordination
- Complete fluency in oral and written English
- An undergraduate degree.
- Prepare a CV in Word or PDF format. You will upload this in our online application form
- Prepare an Introductory letter in Word or PDF format. You will upload this in our online application form.