General Manager – TERA India (deadline: 08 Dec 2019)
The General Manager will lead The Ethical Recruitment Agency’s office in India. This role has responsibility for managing the TERA Office and well as ethically recruiting Indians to work abroad in the United Arab Emirates and other destinations, with priority placed on ensuring that TERA’s ethical practices are effectively implemented. You will be based in Lucknow, UP, India.
Seefar encourages applicants from a variety of backgrounds, displaced persons, and/or those with physical disabilities.
Seefar is a social enterprise with a vision for a world where vulnerable people have more opportunities to advance themselves.
We have launched The Ethical Recruitment Agency (TERA), which aims to create opportunities for vulnerable low- and high-skilled Indian workers to work in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and elsewhere without exploitation and at no additional costs. TERA aims to help people benefit from working abroad while protecting them from exploitation. For more information about us, please visit https://ethicalrecruitmentagency.com/.
We have recently opened an office in India and are seeking a General Manager to recruit candidates to be placed for work in UAE in sectors including construction, cleaning, domestic work and others. This is a full-time consultancy position for six months, renewable subject to funding and performance and based in Lucknow, India. Lucknow, or willing to travel frequently from Delhi,
You will help identify eligible candidates, explain opportunities abroad and oversee their application processes. You must be able to speak English and Hindi fluently. You have a demonstrated interest in business, management, and social impact, and are keen to help Indians of all backgrounds find work abroad. You are passionate about migrant worker welfare and are willing to commit to our Ethical Principles (see below). This role demands someone who is smart, self-motivated, with a strong work ethic and is experienced in managing others.
The following are the primary responsibilities of the role, with estimated allocations of time and attention.
Deliver: Ethical Recruitment of Migrant Workers
About 60% of time and effort:
- Leading recruitment processes to find candidates for placement in low-skill jobs in the UAE including domestic work, construction, facilities management, hospitality and other industries as needed. This responsibility includes:
- Advertising TERA and specific opportunities to work abroad;
- Engaging with prospective workers and answering their questions, both in-person and via email/social media;
- Checking references and selecting qualified workers;
- Guiding workers through the recruitment process, including all logistics;
- Collecting worker data and ensuring data accuracy;
- Checking worker documents and other requirements to work abroad;
- Entering worker data into TERA’s database.
- Ensuring that TERA’s ethical practices are fully implemented – for example, that workers are not charged fees;
- Apply and improve internal processes;
- Coordinate pre-departure activities such as training, medical checks and airport check-in;
- Giving guidance to applicants on how to access pre-departure and in-country support;
- Other tasks as directed.
Manage: TERA Office and Team
About 20% of time and effort:
- Managing TERA’s local team, including training staff, logistics personnel, marketing professionals and other staff as needed;
- Working with the TERA team to make the recruitment process more ethical and efficient.
- Responsible for operational and financial management for the TERA Office.
Support: Program Development
About 20% of time and effort:
- Managing in-country relationships, including with local authorities and community leaders and government;
- Liaising with lawyers, accountants and other administrative services, such as by providing documents to ensure TERA remains in compliance with the law;
- Contributing to other TERA objectives, such as developing worker support processes (pre-departure and in-country);
- Complying with donor reporting requirements.
- Represent and demonstrate the Enterprise’s values and Code of Conduct.
To apply for this Role
On or before December 8th, 2019, complete our online application form. Please, do not include your name or your photo in your CV or letter. This is because we review your application based purely on your previous experiences and introductory letter.
Before you start, you should do the following:
- Confirm you meet these minimum requirements:
- At least 7-10 years of experience in management, business processes or other leadership roles;
- An understanding and willingness to commit to enforcing TERA’s Ethical Principles and Code of Conduct;
- Living in Lucknow, India.
- Complete fluency in oral and written English.
- Prepare a CV in Word or PDF format.
- In Word or PDF format, prepare an introductory letter that includes only the following:
- Why are you interested in working for TERA? (1 paragraph)
- Why are you a good fit for the role? (1 paragraph)
- What is one common unethical practice in recruitment, and how would you prevent this as the General Manager? (1 paragraph, no more than half a page.)