Project Coordinator – West Bengal, India (deadline: 28 Feb 2020)
Seefar is seeking a Project Coordinator to implement a strategic communications campaign to help children, families and communities understand the risks of commercial sexual exploitation of children (CSEC) and take active steps to protect children from it. You will be the local face of the project, engage with stakeholders and enjoy being a valued member of the Seefar team. To be successful at the role you will have demonstrated project management experience in the development sector; have thematic experience in anti-trafficking and anti-CSEC programming and a strong interest strategic communication campaigns. You have management experience; be a natural communicator and always responsive; are results focussed. As an Project Coordinator you must be empathetic, confident and influential. English and Bengali fluency is compulsory.
The position will be based anywhere in West Bengal and will be for a 12-month period.
We are a social enterprise with a mission to work with vulnerable people to build a better future. We specialise in justice, migration and social inclusion. Our expertise is in strategic communications, counselling, consulting, monitoring and evaluation, and research. We work in East Asia, South Asia, the Middle East, East Africa, North Africa, the Sahel, and Europe. For more information about us, please visit http://seefar.org/about-us.
Seefar has a track record for delivering research, consulting, program design and evaluations and strategic communications projects in a number of countries, including on migration and human trafficking issues. To get a sense of the services we specialise in at Seefar please visit http://seefar.org/services.
We are looking for people with:
- A relevant undergraduate university degree as a minimum;
- At least five years of work experience;
- Experience in leading a team;
- Ability to motivate and influence individuals and local communities and create strong relationships with them;
- Strong communication, organisational and problem-solving skills;
- Computer literacy and access to the internet;
- English and Bengali fluency;
- Based in West Bengal; the ability to travel throughout India.
As Project Coordinator you would be required to implement a strategic communications campaign to help children, families and communities understand the risks of commercial sexual exploitation of children and take active steps to protect children from it. The campaign will aim to to raise awareness and drive behaviour change in communities where children are at risk of trafficking and CSEC. This role demands someone who is smart, intrinsically motivated, worldly and interested in hard challenges. In order to excel at the position you would need to be highly organised, communicate regularly and effectively, have the ability to prioritise and are highly productive. You are motivated by an Enterprise performance framework focused on social impact.
The following are the primary responsibilities of the role:
- Participate in face-to-face training prior to the start of campaign activities.
- Implement a 12-month campaign on preventing commercial sexual exploitation of children in India.
- Fulfill project management responsibilities using our internal project systems and processes.
- Recruit, supervise, develop and lead local teams.
- Produce monthly work plans for each employee, including monthly targets.
- Build strong relationships of trust with local community leaders in the area for which you are responsible.
- Establish a dialogue with potential audiences and develop an interest in the project services.
- Refer interested individuals or groups to local migration experts and remote migration experts for in-depth consultations.
- Maintain open communication with your supervisor and be available for meetings.
- Regularly update your supervisor on project progress or challenges.
- Report on the team’s work and progress monthly in a formal report.
- Advise Seefar on the challenges and opportunities for effective project implementation.
- Prepare and translate materials on request.
- Follow Seefar’s policies, procedures and instructions.
- Maintain the confidentiality of your work.
- Assist the Strategic Communications Manager and Project Manager with tasks as directed.
- Represent and demonstrate the Enterprise’s values.
Working with Seefar
Current and former personnel have noted the points below as positive features of Seefar’s work environment and culture:
- The Enterprise combines entrepreneurialism with a focus on social impact.
- You work with highly diverse people and across a diversity of contexts.
- There is a high level of trust that supports you to work autonomously.
- The people in the Enterprise encourage innovation and experimentation.
- Achieving results is prioritised over rigid structures and workflows.
- You are never bored and always challenged.
Current and former personnel have noted the points below as negative features of Seefar’s work environment and culture:
- Collaborating with geographically dispersed teams requires flexibility and patience.
- Working remotely can make you feel isolated and so requires you to invest time in communication.
- Travel schedules can sometimes be heavy.
- A high-growth phase means problem-solving as the Enterprise’s systems evolve quickly.