Psychologist (CSE) – India (deadline: 09 Dec 2019)
Seefar is looking for a psychologist to lead our counsellors to deliver two of our LIFT projects for survivors of commercial sexual exploitation (CSE) in India. You will assist in the production of counselling training materials, training of lay counsellors will take on complex cases referred to you by your team. The core aim of the counselling programme is to stabilise survivors so they can engage in education and skills development. You will have demonstrated clinical experience with survivors of CSE; be a natural communicator and experience managing personnel. You have complete fluency in English and either Bengali or Marathi. This position is based in India, ideally in Mumbai or Kolkata and is for an initial 80 days over an 18 month period.
We are a social enterprise with a vision for a world where vulnerable people have more opportunities to advance themselves. We specialise in justice, migration and social inclusion. Our expertise is in strategic communications, counselling, consulting, monitoring and evaluation, and research. We work in East Asia, South Asia, the Middle East, East Africa, North Africa, the Sahel and Europe. For more information about us, please visit http://seefar.org/about-us
To get a sense of the services we specialise in at Seefar, please visit http://seefar.org/services.
For examples of projects relevant to the Migration Program, please visit
This role demands someone who is smart, intrinsically motivated, worldly, interested in hard challenges and who will represent and demonstrate the Enterprise’s values.
The following are the primary responsibilities of the role, with estimated allocations of time and attention.
Deliver: Project and Mission Implementation
Approximately 90% of your time and attention:
- Provide oversight, peer reviews and quality control of the counselling team;
- Assist in the writing and production of counselling training material;
- Assist in the training of lay counsellors and train the trainer programmes;
- Liaise with local and international team leaders;
- Provide regular and ad-hoc reports;
- Responsive to taskings and requests from Seefar’s Project Manager;
- Liaise with stakeholders and the broader community of interest.
- Provide pastoral care to team members.
Develop: Capabilities and Program Portfolio
Approximately 10% of your time and attention:
- Strengthen the Enterprise’s reputation and profile in our areas of expertise.
You will work as a Psychologist in India and you will be required to undertake local travel to project implementation sites around Mumbai and Kolkata.
Working with Seefar
Current and former personnel have noted the points below as positive features of Seefar’s work environment and culture:
- The Enterprise combines entrepreneurialism with a focus on social impact.
- You work with highly diverse people and across a diversity of contexts.
- There is a high level of trust that supports you to work autonomously.
- The people in the Enterprise encourage innovation and experimentation.
- Achieving results is prioritised over rigid structures and workflows.
- You are never bored and always challenged.
Current and former personnel have noted the points below as negative features of Seefar’s work environment and culture:
- Collaborating with geographically dispersed teams requires flexibility and patience.
- Working remotely can make you feel isolated and so requires you to invest time in communication.
- Travel schedules can sometimes be heavy.
- A high-growth phase means problem-solving as the Enterprise’s systems evolve quickly.
To apply for this Role
Please apply on or before 09th December 2019, by completing our online application form. Please, do not include your name or your photo in your CV or letter. This is because we review your application based purely on your previous experiences and introductory letter.
Before you start, you should do the following:
- Confirm you meet these minimum requirements:
- A minimum of five years of professional experience
- Masters or PHD in Psychology
- Complete fluency in oral and written English and either Bengali or Marathi
- Be based in India
- Prepare a CV in Word or PDF format. You will upload this in our online application form.
- In Word or PDF format, prepare an introductory letter that includes only the points below. You will upload this in our online application form.
- 1-2 paragraphs explaining your experience as a psychologist working with survivors of commercial sexual exploitation.