Safety, Security and Resilience Advisor (deadline: 10 Mar 2019)
This position can be based anywhere in the world.
A role for a credible professional with demonstrated experience in safety, security and risk management in the international development sector.
The successful candidate will be required to oversee and continuously improve our safety, security and risk processes while contributing to a strong internal culture on these issues. He or she will maintain a rigorous process focus but will have the strategic insight to tailor systems and procedures to different organisations and environments. You can live wherever you like and travel will be required.
We are a social enterprise with a mission to work with vulnerable people to build a better future. We specialise in justice, migration and social inclusion. Our expertise is in strategic communications, counselling, consulting, monitoring and evaluation, and research. We work in more than 25 countries in East Asia, South Asia, the Middle East, East Africa, North Africa, the Sahel and Europe. We are a small to medium sized organisation that is growing very fast, with a core management team of around 30 people working remotely and another 150 people living and working in unstable and conflict-affected countries. Almost all of our work is field based and we have a limited office footprint. For more information about us, please visit http://seefar.org/about-us.
Seefar has an established safety, security and risk management structure in place, and this role will primarily be responsible for ensuring that these are fully understood and implemented across the organisation at both global and country levels. A secondary element of this role is to further develop and systemise these process as we seek to continuously improve. The role demands a mature, intrinsically motivated and internationally experienced person who understands the safety and security processes required for this type of organisation in fragile and conflict-affected countries. The primary responsibilities of the role, with estimated allocations of time and attention are listed below.
Deliver: Project and Mission Implementation
Approximately 50% of your time and attention:
- Assisting project and program teams to produce country-specific SOPs, contingency plans and risk assessment documentation, ensuring these are up to date and in line with required standards.
- Advising project and program managers on mainstreaming security in project planning, budgeting, implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
- Overseeing processes for monitoring and managing the safety of visitors including duty of care assessments of hosting platforms in high threat environments.
- Acting as the technical reference/resource for project and program teams and senior management including in the design phase.
- Managing safe travel processes and all enterprise insurances.
- Providing technical support, coaching, quality control and checks on safety, security and risk management processes.
- Conducting training workshops with teams to ensure that security and risk management is carried forward with effectiveness in program and operational works.
- Managing other relevant safety, security and risk tasks.
Develop: Capabilities and Enterprise Portfolio
Approximately 45% of your time and attention:
- Reviewing and making recommendations regarding possible improvements to existing Enterprise policies and procedures.
- Updating and maintaining enterprise templates for safety, security and risk SOPs, contingency plans and risk management.
- Being the guardian of Seefar’s incident management process, including exercising it.
- Maintaining arrangements with service providers who monitor and analyse the security situation of relevant countries and provide local safety briefings.
- Collecting lessons learned on safety, security and risk processes and activities.
- Facilitating an ongoing culture of learning and improving for safety, security and risk management including systematic debriefing after visits and incidents.
- Managing processes that ensure all new staff receive consistent and thorough security and safety inductions, briefings and training.
Direct: Global Management
Approximately 5% of your time and attention:
- Representing and demonstrating the Enterprise’s values.
- Serving as a member of Seefar’s Incident Management Team (IMT), supporting management of critical incidents.
Working with Seefar
Current and former personnel have noted the points below as positive features of Seefar’s work environment and culture:
- The Enterprise combines entrepreneurialism with a focus on social impact.
- You work with highly diverse people and across a diversity of contexts.
- There is a high level of trust that supports you to work autonomously.
- The people in the Enterprise encourage innovation and experimentation.
- Achieving results is prioritised over rigid structures and workflows.
- You are never bored and always challenged.
Current and former personnel have noted the points below as challenging features of Seefar’s work environment and culture:
- Collaborating with geographically dispersed teams requires flexibility and patience.
- Working remotely can make you feel isolated and so requires you to invest time in communication.
- Travel schedules can sometimes be heavy.
- A high-growth phase means problem-solving as the Enterprise’s systems evolve quickly.
- It can be fast paced so you need to be productive and able to prioritise effectively.
To apply for this Role
On or before 10 March 2019, complete our online application form. Please, do not include your name or your photo in your CV or letter. This is because we review your application based purely on your previous experiences and introductory letter.
Before you start, you should do the following:
- Confirm you meet these minimum requirements:
- Fluent in written and verbal English.
- At least three years experience in roles of a safety, security and risk nature in conflict-affected countries.
- Knowledge of legal approaches to duty of care and experience implementing these in one or more organisations.
- Experience designing and implementing safety and security SOPs and processes.
- Prepare a CV in Word or PDF format. You will upload this in our online application form.
- In Word or PDF format, prepare an introductory letter of a maximum of one page that includes only the points below. You will upload this in our online application form.
- One to two paragraphs describing your experience in these types of roles, including the types of tasks you have completed.
- Answer one of the following questions:
- Describe a time when you helped an organisation safely expand into another country, OR
- Describe a time when you designed a safety and security process from scratch, an approach which was subsequently implemented.