Strategic Communications Assistant (deadline: 27 Mar 2019)
As a Strategic Communications Assistant at Seefar, you will be helping some of the most vulnerable people in the world achieve better outcomes. You will also be working on some of the most important issues of our time, including rule of law, social inclusion, migration, human trafficking, modern slavery, violent extremism and gender-based violence. This role will work on various communication projects providing support for behaviour change campaigns, online engagement strategies, creative products, PR and media strategies, copywriting and branding efforts across a number of countries. Your attention to detail, creative talent and ability to deliver will be highly valued, as is your complete fluency in written and spoken English. You can live wherever you like. This is a long-term consultancy position with a possibility for extension.
We are a social enterprise with a mission to work with vulnerable people to build a better future. We specialise in justice, migration and social inclusion. Our expertise is in strategic communications, counselling, consulting, monitoring and evaluation, and research. For more information about us, please visit http://seefar.org/about-us
This role demands someone who is smart, intrinsically motivated, worldly and interested in hard challenges. Seefar has a track record of delivering strategic communications projects in Africa, Europe, the Middle East and Asia on migration, human trafficking and violent extremism issues. Our strategic communications team is growing and this role will be part of that growth.
To get a sense of our strategic communications activities, see http://seefar.org/services/strategic-communications/.
To get a sense of the services we specialise in at Seefar, please visit http://seefar.org/services.
To get a sense of the issues we work on at Seefar, please visit https://seefar.org/themes/.
As a Strategic Communications Assistant you will support on a range of communication campaigns and behaviour change projects aimed at enhancing informed decision-making and reducing vulnerabilities across a number of countries.
We are looking for someone with:
- At least one year of experience working in strategic communications;
- Experience of working on behaviour change and/or communication campaigns;
- Digital campaign and marketing experience;
- Exceptional English writing skills with the ability to write for a variety of different platforms and audiences;
- Effective prioritisation skills; and
- Outstanding attention to detail.
The following are the primary responsibilities of the role, with estimated allocations of time and attention.
Deliver: Project and Mission Implementation
Approximately 80% of your time and attention will be focused on:
- Helping to implement online engagement strategies and PR and media strategies
- Proofreading and editing content for digital platforms and ensuring quality control
- Helping to develop creative communications products
- Capacity building for field teams on social media and media outreach
- Other strategic communications-related tasks as required.
Develop: Capabilities and Programme Portfolio
Approximately 15% of your time and attention will be focused on:
- Supporting the Strategic Communications Team to strengthen existing processes and develop team capabilities, including supporting recruitment efforts.
- Strengthening Seefar’s reputation and profile in strategic communications.
- Helping to build systems and processes that enable us to implement our work faster and more effectively.
Direct: Global Management
Approximately 5% of your time and attention will be focused on:
- Representing and demonstrating Seefar’s values.
- Cooperating with other Seefar teams, including to communicate substantive and administrative information that supports corporate management overall.
Working with Seefar
Current and former personnel have noted the points below as positive features of Seefar’s work environment and culture:
- The Enterprise combines entrepreneurialism with a focus on social impact.
- You work with highly diverse people and across a diversity of contexts.
- There is a high level of trust that supports you to work autonomously.
- The people in the Enterprise encourage innovation and experimentation.
- Achieving results is prioritised over rigid structures and workflows.
- You are never bored and always challenged.
Current and former personnel have noted the points below as negative features of Seefar’s work environment and culture:
- Collaborating with geographically dispersed teams requires flexibility and patience.
- Working remotely can make you feel isolated and so requires you to invest time in communication.
- Travel schedules can sometimes be heavy.
- A high-growth phase means problem-solving as the Enterprise’s systems evolve quickly.
- It can be fast paced so you need to be productive and able to prioritise effectively.
An Excellent Candidate
To excel in this role, you will have at least one year of experience working in strategic communications. You will have a relevant undergraduate degree as a minimum and will have worked on communication campaigns and behaviour change projects, developing content for online and offline platforms and copy writing. In addition, you will have experience of digital platforms, including using social media tools for campaign purposes, driving online engagement, web and social media content development, social media marketing and providing analytics reports and recommendations for ways to improve digital presence.
Previous experience working on Seefar’s themes is preferable but not required. You will be highly organised and productive and have the ability to prioritise your work. You will be motivated to work for an Enterprise that is focused on achieving social impact.