Strategic Communications Intern (deadline: 01 Nov 2020)
Seefar is looking for an intern to provide support across a number of strategic communication campaigns in the thematic areas of migration, human trafficking and modern slavery. This internship is paid and will be for a duration of six months. The work is remote and you can be based anywhere in the world.
An ideal candidate would have some experience implementing awareness and/or behaviour change campaigns, and, in particular, in managing social media components of such campaigns. They would also have proven past experience working within the specified thematic areas and be fluent in English.
This role demands someone who is smart, intrinsically motivated, worldly and interested in hard challenges. You will enjoy this internship if you are motivated by working within a high-performing team spread across multiple countries.
Seefar encourages applicants from a variety of backgrounds and locations, including those in developing countries, displaced persons, and/or those with physical disabilities.
We are a social enterprise with a vision for a world where vulnerable people have more opportunities to advance themselves. We specialise in justice, migration and social inclusion. Our expertise is in strategic communications, counselling, consulting, monitoring and evaluation, and research. We work in East Asia, Central Asia, South Asia, the Middle East, East Africa, North Africa, the Sahel and Europe. For more information about us, please visit http://seefar.org/about-us
At Seefar, our communications campaigns are designed to encourage attitudinal and behaviour change, for example for people at risk of unsafe migration and modern slavery. Strategic communications is an integrated approach to the traditional communications campaign, providing two-way communication to our target audience to enhance knowledge, shift attitudes, and change risky behaviours. To find out more about our strategic communications work, visit: https://seefar.org/services/strategic-communications/
The following are the primary responsibilities of the role, with estimated allocations of time and attention.
Deliver: Project and mission implementation
Approximately 80% of your time and attention:
- Testing, developing and refining messaging for multiple communication campaigns
- Implementing, testing and adapting social media strategies across projects
- Reviewing, editing and developing communications materials
- Supporting field teams on social media and media outreach
- Supporting with website development
- Contributing to rigorous monitoring and evaluation of projects
- Helping with related administrative tasks, such as planning and reporting advertising spending and processing bills
- Other strategic communications-related tasks as required
Develop: Capabilities and Programme Portfolio
Approximately 15% of your time and attention:
- Contributing to efforts to strengthen existing processes and develop capabilities
- Strengthening Seefar’s visibility, reputation and profile, including through producing content for corporate communication channels
- Helping to build systems and processes that enable us to implement our work faster and more effectively
Direct: Global Management
Approximately 5% of your time and attention:
- Representing and demonstrating Seefar’s values
- Cooperating with other Seefar consultants, including to communicate substantive and administrative information that supports corporate management overall
Working with Seefar
Current and former personnel have noted the points below as positive features of Seefar’s work environment and culture:
- The Enterprise combines entrepreneurialism with a focus on social impact.
- You work with highly diverse people and across a diversity of contexts.
- There is a high level of trust that supports you to work autonomously.
- The people in the Enterprise encourage innovation and experimentation.
- Achieving results is prioritised over rigid structures and workflows.
- You are never bored and always challenged.
Current and former personnel have noted the points below as negative features of Seefar’s work environment and culture:
- Collaborating with geographically dispersed teams requires flexibility and patience.
- Working remotely can make you feel isolated and so requires you to invest time in communication.
- A high-growth phase means problem-solving as the Enterprise’s systems evolve quickly.
An Excellent Candidate
To excel in this role:
- You will have at least 1-2 years of demonstrated experience working in strategic communications, with specific experience managing and creating content for digital platforms.
- You will have proven interest and experience in the following themes: migration, modern slavery and/or human trafficking.
- You will have some experience interpreting and analysing data.
- You will be fluent in English and at least one other language.
- You will be excited by new challenges, have flexibility to work on varied tasks, and have a deep desire to learn.
- You will be naturally creative and innovative.
- You will be highly organised, efficient and productive, and have the ability to prioritise and work independently.
- You will be motivated to work for an enterprise that is focused on achieving social impact.
Some other qualities which are desirable, but not essential are:
- Experience in backend and/or frontend web development
- Graphic design skills
- Skills in programming and automation
To apply for this Role
On or before 1 November 2020, complete our online application form. Please, do not include your name or your photo in your CV or letter. This is because we review your application based purely on your previous experiences and introductory letter.
Before you start, you should do the following:
- Confirm you meet these minimum requirements:
- 1-2 years of demonstrated experience working in strategic communications, including experience managing and creating content for digital platforms;
- Complete fluency in oral and written English.
- Prepare a CV in Word or PDF format.
- In Word or PDF format, prepare an introductory letter that includes only the following:
- Why you are interested in working in this role with Seefar
- One example of your past work experience in communications:
- What were your responsibilities?
- Did you face any challenges?
- How did you overcome them?
- What results did you achieve?