Strategic Communications Manager (deadline: 16 Jul 2017)
As a Strategic Communications Manager you will be an experienced and rounded communications generalist. You will be working on some of the most important issues of our time, including refugees, displaced people, migration, human trafficking and modern slavery. This role works on various communication projects, both leading and providing expert input into behaviour change campaigns, online engagement strategies, creative products, PR and media strategies, copywriting and branding efforts across a number of countries. Your attention to detail, creative talent and ability to deliver will be highly valued. You can live wherever you like and travel will be required.
We are a social enterprise with a mission to work with vulnerable people to build a better future. We specialise in justice, migration and social inclusion. Our expertise is in strategic communications, counselling, consulting, monitoring and evaluation, and research. We work in East Asia, South Asia, the Middle East, East Africa, North Africa, the Sahel and Europe. For more information about us, please visit https://seefar.org/about-us.
This role demands someone who is smart, intrinsically motivated, worldly and interested in hard challenges. Seefar has a track record for delivering strategic communications projects in East Africa, West Africa, North Africa, Europe, the Middle East and Asia on migration, modern slavery and human trafficking issues. Our strategic communications team is growing and this role will be part of that expansion.
To get a sense of our strategic communications activities, please visit https://seefar.org/services/strategic-communications/.
For examples of projects relevant to migration, please visit https://seefar.org/tag/migration/ and for human trafficking and modern slavery, please visit https://seefar.org/tag/human-trafficking-modern-slavery/
We are looking for someone with:
- at least eight years experience working in strategic communications;
- experience of behaviour change campaigns;
- good understanding of developing social media marketing strategies;
- experience of website management and online content development;
- exceptional English writing skills with the ability to write for a variety of different platforms;
- effective prioritisation skills and the ability to work on multiple assignments at the same time; and
- outstanding attention to detail.
The following are the primary responsibilities of the role, with estimated allocations of time and attention.
Deliver: Project and Mission Implementation
Approximately 70% of your time and attention will be focused on:
- Working with the Research and Insights team to design pre-campaign market research.
- Developing communication and behavioural change campaign strategies and ensuring the implementation of these.
- Providing input to the development of online engagement strategies and PR and media strategies.
- Overseeing content development for online platforms and ensuring quality control.
- Providing input to the development of creative communication products.
- Mentoring and developing other team members.
- Ensuring donor needs are met and expectations exceeded where possible.
- Other tasks as required.
Develop: Capabilities and Program Portfolio
Approximately 25% of your time and attention will be focused on:
- Supporting the Strategic Communications Team to strengthen existing processes and develop team capabilities, including mentoring and supporting recruitment efforts.
- Strengthening Seefar’s reputation and profile in strategic communications.
- Conducting fundraising for Seefar. This includes building and maintaining contacts and networks with potential supporters, identifying new opportunities and creating new projects, as well as supporting existing fundraising activities.
Direct: Global Management
Approximately 5% of your time and attention will be focused on:
- Representing and demonstrating Seefar’s values.
- Cooperating with other areas of the Migration Program and the Enterprise, including to communicate substantive and administrative information that supports corporate management overall.
Working with Seefar
Current and former personnel have noted the points below as positive features of Seefar’s work environment and culture:
- The Enterprise combines entrepreneurialism with a focus on social impact.
- You work with highly diverse people and across a diversity of contexts.
- There is a high level of trust that supports you to work autonomously.
- The people in the Enterprise encourage innovation and experimentation.
- Achieving results is prioritised over rigid structures and workflows.
- You are never bored and always challenged.
Current and former personnel have noted the points below as negative features of Seefar’s work environment and culture:
- Collaborating with geographically dispersed teams requires flexibility and patience.
- Working remotely can make you feel isolated and so requires you to invest time in communication.
- Travel schedules can sometimes be heavy.
- A high-growth phase means problem-solving as the Enterprise’s systems evolve quickly.
- It can be fast paced so you need to be productive and be able to prioritise effectively.
An Excellent Candidate
To excel in this role, you will have at least eight years experience working in strategic communications. You will have a relevant undergraduate degree as a minimum and are confident working in strategy design and implementation, content development, online and social media marketing, creative production, copy writing and donor engagement. Previous experience working on migration, human trafficking, modern slavery and/or violent extremism issues is preferable but not required. You have creative flair and can lead the development and production of innovative communication products to a high standard. Your excellent client management skills allow you to identify client expectations and then exceed them. You are highly organised, have the ability to prioritise and are highly productive. You have a track record of supervising others effectively and enjoy mentoring and developing others. You will be motivated by an Enterprise performance framework focused on social impact.