The lack of good job opportunities at home drives millions of people to seek work abroad and can discourage migrants from considering returning to their home countries. In pursuing better jobs and economic opportunties, migrants often end up in situations of trafficking, modern slavery and irregular mirgrant status. Vulnerabilities begin at the earliest stages of migration planning and recruitment in origin countries, including deception and exorbitant fee-charging. As Seefar’s research has shown, these realities leave migrants in crippling debt and force them into situations of modern slavery once abroad. It also results in little economic return for the migrant worker and their families or communities.
Seefar is responding to these challenges through The Ethical Recruitment Agency (TERA), our specialist recruiter with the mission to help people benefit from legal migration while staying safe from exploitation. Through our work, TERA is proving that ethical recruitment is not only good for workers and businesses – it is a sustainable solution to some of the most intractable global challenges.
Exceeding top standards to safeguard workers
TERA’s ethical recruitment model follows practices that exceed over a dozen top international standards, including IOM IRIS Standards, ILO conventions and guidance, and the Dhaka Principles. In placing workers in safe employment abroad, our unique Worker Welfare system guarantees:
- Zero recruitment fees – migrant workers never pay recruitment fees or incur debt;
- Direct recruitment – we eliminate exploitative sub-agents and brokers;
- Full preparation – workers undergo our industry-leading Pre-Departure Training, which includes learning assessments, feedback channels, and contract transparency.
- Full Compliance – Our ethical business practices help partners clearly demonstrate adherence to top compliance and worker welfare standards.
- Ongoing Welfare Monitoring – we ensure workers stay safe throughout their employment.
Examples of TERA’s work include:
- Operating fully compliant recruitment agencies in India, Afghanistan and other origin countries;
- Conducting research, building tools, and sharing evidence on ethical recruitment;
- Safe migration communications in dozens of countries and end-to-end worker engagement.
- Engaging with global stakeholders – including some of the world’s biggest brands – to build capacity, awareness and demand for ethical recruitment.
- Working with and providing sustainable alternative livelihood opportunities to vulnerable populations such as migrant returnees.
TERA’s supporters include the Global Fund to End Modern Slavery, government donors and commercial clients.
Want to learn more about TERA? Visit us at ethicalrecruitmentagency.com or contact TERA here.