Our technical specialties are here.
Click to read more details.
We say what few in our industry will: it is difficult to assess the value of consulting assignments in the development and security sectors. There is often a lack of accountability for performance and it is hard to link consultant contracts specified in days with program outcomes measured in lives saved, states built or economies transformed.
Reflecting our values, we deliver consulting services where they rely on our demonstrated expertise, provide scope for assessing impact and promote learning. We request specific feedback on every assignment, which is how we know when we are effective and when we are not. We apply our monitoring and evaluation expertise to understand whether our work leads to real-world change.
Based on this understanding, we focus our consulting services on the themes we know and, ideally, the intersection between those themes and our specialist services. We have received strong positive feedback on our ability to deliver advice, tools and templates for program management and on monitoring and evaluation systems. We have a track record of innovating themes and channels in strategic communications campaigns. And we have seen how our combination of structuring big data and performing statistical analysis leads donors to new opportunities for evidence-based decisions.
Here are some examples of how we deploy our consulting services in development and security:
- Designing and delivering fieldwork research to support rule of law program development
- Designing a Southeast Asian country’s policy response to address non-traditional security challenges
- Re-designing results monitoring and risk management for a European government’s largest international development program
- Identifying recurrent gaps in monitoring and evaluation
- Evaluating an intergovernmental organization’s nine-year strategy and over 500 projects in a conflict-affected country
Our purpose is to work with vulnerable people to build a better future. Program design at Seefar is the process of moving from a vision to a practical plan. We dedicate our program design expertise to two domains:
- External consulting in the development and security sectors, to help donors design effective programs
- In-house research and development to identify needs and methods
Our approach to designing development programs reflects our dedication to the highest quality of service and humility. Highest quality of service leads us to take on tough problems at the frontiers of knowledge, usually designing programs for remote or conflict-affected people. We are humble in listening to the nuance of contexts, donor requirements and beneficiary ambitions, before we begin building a program in response.
Donors have provided us positive feedback on our ability to fulfil practical objectives while taking account of donor and beneficiaries’ political imperatives. Beneficiaries have endorsed us for working with them – sometimes in difficult conditions – to understand what is needed on the ground. With this understanding, we can identify the necessary monitoring and evaluation tools to build into the program from the start.
Here are some examples of how we deploy our program design expertise:
- Repeated hiring by national government donors to research and formulate programs for fragile and conflict affected states, worth hundreds of millions of dollars
- Supporting international NGOs to design and obtain funding for rule of law programs, community security initiatives and police reform programs
- Designing the monitoring and evaluation framework and tools for a large-scale national program on social inclusion
- Fieldwork and desk research to design regional programs on topics such as child trafficking and modern slavery
- Deploying rapid surveys to inform strategic communications programs and funding approaches