The Migrant Project is seeking a Project Coordinator to implement an information campaign and counselling service for Afghans who are considering migration to Europe. As a Project Coordinator, you will recruit, train, supervise and lead a team under the guidance of senior leaders at Seefar. You will be the local face of the project, engage with stakeholders and enjoy being a valued member of the Seefar team. To be successful at the role you will have demonstrated project management experience in the development sector and thematic experience on migration issues. You will also be a natural communicator and results focused. You must be empathetic, confident and influential. Fluency in English, Dari, and Pashto is compulsory.
The position will be based in Afghanistan for an initial 9-month contract and with the possibility of extension.
We are a social enterprise with a mission to work with vulnerable people to build a better future. We specialise in justice, migration and social inclusion. Our expertise is in strategic communications, counselling, consulting, research, monitoring and evaluation. We work in East Asia, South Asia, the Middle East, East Africa, North Africa, the Sahel and Europe. For more information about us, please visit https://seefar.org/about.
Seefar has a track record for delivering research, consulting, program design and evaluations and strategic communications projects in a number of countries, including on migration and human trafficking issues. To get a sense of the services we specialise in at Seefar please visit https://seefar.org/services.
Seefar continues to grow and this role will be responsible for coordinating a new phase of a strategic communications project on the ground in Afghanistan. The role requires someone with five years of professional experience in managing teams and implementing projects and who is smart, intrinsically motivated, worldly, flexible, efficient, and interested in complex challenges. In order to excel in this role you need to be highly organised and efficient. You must be able to prioritise tasks and communicate regularly and effectively with colleagues both in-person and remotely. You are motivated by an Enterprise performance framework focused on social impact.
We are looking for candidates based in Kabul with:
- A relevant undergraduate university degree as a minimum.
- At least five years of work experience.
- Experience in leading a team.
- The ability to motivate, influence and create strong relationships with individuals and local communities.
- Strong communication, organisational and problem-solving skills.
- Computer literacy with reliable access to the internet.
- English, Dari and Pashto fluency.
- A willingness and ability to undertake local travel to project implementation sites around Afghanistan.
The following are the primary responsibilities of the role:
- Participate in training prior to the start of campaign activities.
- Implement a campaign aimed at helping potential migrants make informed decisions and protecting vulnerable people from harm and exploitation.
- Fulfill project management responsibilities using our internal project systems and processes.
- Recruit, supervise, develop and lead local teams.
- Produce monthly work plans for each employee, including monthly targets.
- Build strong relationships of trust with local community leaders in the area for which you are responsible.
- Establish a dialogue with potential audiences and develop an interest in the project services.
- Refer interested individuals or groups to local migration experts and remote migration experts for in-depth consultations.
- Maintain open communication with your supervisor and be available for meetings across multiple time zones.
- Regularly update your supervisor on project progress or challenges.
- Report on the team’s work and progress monthly in a formal report.
- Advise Seefar on the challenges and opportunities for effective project implementation.
- Prepare and translate materials on request.
- Follow Seefar’s policies, procedures and instructions.
- Maintain the confidentiality of your work.
- Assist the Strategic Communications Manager and Project Manager with tasks as directed.
- Represent and demonstrate the Enterprise’s values.
Working with Seefar
Current and former personnel have noted the points below as positive features of Seefar’s work environment and culture:
- The Enterprise combines entrepreneurialism with a focus on social impact.
- You work with highly diverse people and across a diversity of contexts.
- There is a high level of trust that supports you to work autonomously.
- The people in the Enterprise encourage innovation and experimentation.
- Achieving results is prioritised over rigid structures and workflows.
- You are never bored and always challenged.
Current and former personnel have noted the points below as negative features of Seefar’s work environment and culture:
- Collaborating with geographically dispersed teams requires flexibility and patience.
- Working remotely can make you feel isolated and so requires you to invest time in communication.
- Travel schedules can sometimes be heavy.
- A high-growth phase means problem-solving as the Enterprise’s systems evolve quickly.
An Excellent Candidate
To excel in this role, you will have five years professional project and personnel management experience in Afghanistan. You have complete fluency in written and spoken English, Dari and Pashto. You have an undergraduate degree, are highly organised, communicate regularly and effectively, have the ability to prioritise and are highly productive. You are naturally responsive and client focused, while also able to work autonomously.
To apply for this role
Complete our online application form on or before 13 June 2021. Before you start the application, you should do the following:
- Confirm you meet these minimum requirements:
- Five years of professional experience
- Experience managing and developing teams in Afghanistan
- Experience in project coordination
- Complete fluency in oral and written English, Dari and Pashto
- An undergraduate degree
- Based in Afghanistan
- Prepare a CV and introductory letter in Word or PDF format.