Inspired by our mission and aligned with our values, you will bring a highly collaborative approach, championing our staff-led model to ensure we have the greatest impact for vulnerable people around the world. Bringing a constructively critical view of how we are performing, you will have an interest in ensuring excellence and innovation through our work. The appointment is to our Board in Hong Kong but you can live wherever you like. The position is part-time and paid. The role will require:
- Monthly virtual meetings of a few hours each
- 2-4 in-person meetings a year of around 3 days each (usually Europe, MENA or Asia)
- Availability to mentor Seefar personnel, likely less than a day a month
Job Context and Description
We are a social enterprise with a mission to work with vulnerable people to build a better future. We work in East Asia, South Asia, the Middle East, East Africa, North Africa, West Africa and Europe. Our group is structured to pursue social purposes using a nimble and entrepreneurial culture.
We have just turned seven years old and our total personnel have fluctuated between 100 and 300 over the last four years. We have been working as a distributed workforce since we were created: the majority of our people wake up and go to work delivering face-to-face services in places such as the suburbs of Kabul or rural Ethiopia.
The other Directors joined Seefar in 2014, 2016 and 2018, respectively. We are seeking a fourth Director to add another perspective and new skills.
An Excellent Candidate
We are seeking someone who has extreme strengths in one or two areas (see below). You will have a track record performing a leadership role, ideally in a remote setting, and be able to demonstrate excellent communication skills in the context of a distributed workforce. We will use the following to shortlist candidates for interview:
- Excellent delivery of projects relevant to Seefar – at least one of these:
- Security and justice
- Counselling and psychology
- Climate change
- Demonstrated strengths in one or two of the following:
- Enterprise-level risk monitoring and mitigation
- A professional network that supports fundraising
- Legal strategy for multinational groups
- Financial management for multinational groups
- Human resources, specifically maintaining high levels of personnel engagement
- Service or product innovation in a developing-country context
- Previous success in a Board-level role is valuable.
- A commitment of at least 2-years to the appointment.
To Apply for this Role
On or before 4 June 2021, complete our online application form. Before you start, please do the following:
- Prepare a CV in Word or PDF format. You will be asked to upload this in our online application form.
- In Word or PDF format, prepare an introductory letter that includes the point below. You will be asked to upload this in our online application form:
- We listed strengths we are seeking above. Please choose your strongest one or two strengths from this list. For each, please write a paragraph showing how you have used this strength previously.
You can access the online application form here or by clicking the Apply button below.