Finance Assistant (deadline: 06 Jul 2017)
This role will report to the Corporate Services Manager, with responsibilities that cut across the Enterprise. You will be responsible for managing the finances of the Enterprise, and will contribute to the expansion of our subsidiary office in Indonesia. Your broader responsibilities will also cover human resources management and administrative support – your work will ensure that we maximise our social impact.
You must be a dynamic person with an eye for detail who can manage your time and competing priorities effectively. You are someone who is intrinsically motivated and interested in problem solving.
The role will be based in our office in Jakarta, Indonesia, and some domestic and international travel will be required.
We are a social enterprise with a mission to work with vulnerable people to build a better future. We specialise in justice, migration and social inclusion. Our expertise is in strategic communications, counselling, consulting, monitoring and evaluation, and research. We work in East Asia, South Asia, the Middle East, East Africa, North Africa, the Sahel and Europe. For more information about us, please visit https://seefar.org/about-us. To get a sense of the services we specialise in at Seefar, please visit https://seefar.org/services.
The Finance Assistant will perform an important function of managing the finances and financial systems of the organisation on a daily basis, thereby ensuring that all personnel are supported to deliver our long-term vision and impact. This will include responsibilities such as:
- Managing our online financial systems
- Financial reporting and analysis
- Enterprise and project budgeting
- Contributing to HR and contract management
- Regulatory reporting
As a member of the Corporate Services team, you will also work with HR and IT, as well as Project and Program Managers.
This role will require someone who is smart, worldly, interested in challenges and highly flexible and adaptable. The following are the primary responsibilities of the role, with estimated allocations of time and attention.
Deliver: Financial Support to the Enterprise
Approximately 60% of your time and attention:
- Manage our online accounting software and banking portals
- Make monthly payments to all personnel
- Monthly reconciliation of all accounts
- Manage the claiming of expenses and paying suppliers
- Monthly updating of project and enterprise budgets
- Financial analysis
- Follow up on overdue invoices
- Add new suppliers to our financial systems
- Work with project managers and HR to assess and decide on management of different contracts
- Troubleshoot problems across our financial systems
- Contribute to contract and HR management
- Managing our billing and invoicing
- Contribute to project startup, termination and coordination of project information feeding into our corporate reporting
- Contribute to human resources management
- Corporate, regulatory and governmental reporting as required
Develop: Improvements to capabilities across our financial systems
Approximately 10% of your time and attention:
- Use your knowledge of Seefar’s operations and experience of administering financial services, recommend and implement improvements to our processes
Deliver: Administrative support to the Indonesia Country Office
Approximately 30% of your time and attention:
- Perform an oversight function to assure accuracy and compliance with internal and external regulations
- Conduct research or inquiries into required financial and administrative systems and procedures
- Assist in the administration and business functions of the subsidiary office, including overseeing and/or processing any forms and paperwork
- Maintain required financial records and documents
- Where needed, establish and apply new or tailored procedures appropriately, this may include initiating new systems and policies
- Prepare financial and administrative reports
- Provide project personnel with guidance on financial matters and respond to queries about procedures
- Oversee, monitor, and reconcile accounts and update the Country Manager on status as required.
Working with Seefar
Current and former personnel have noted the points below as positive features of Seefar’s work environment and culture:
- The Enterprise combines entrepreneurialism with a focus on social impact.
- You work with highly diverse people and across a diversity of contexts.
- There is a high level of trust that supports you to work autonomously.
- The people in the Enterprise encourage innovation and experimentation.
- Achieving results is prioritised over rigid structures and workflows.
- You are never bored and always challenged.
Current and former personnel have noted the points below as negative features of Seefar’s work environment and culture:
- Collaborating with geographically dispersed teams requires flexibility and patience.
- Working remotely can make you feel isolated and so requires you to invest time in communication.
- Travel schedules can sometimes be heavy.
- A high-growth phase means problem-solving as the Enterprise’s systems evolve quickly.
To apply for this Role
On or before 6 July 2017, complete our online application form. Before you start, you should do the following:
- Confirm you meet these minimum requirements:
- At least 3 years of experience in financial administration.
- Motivation to contribute to a growing Enterprise focused on social impact.
- Fluency in oral and written English, especially in financial and accounting terminology.
- Fluency in Bahasa Indonesia
- Prepare a CV in Word or PDF format. You will upload this in our online application form
- In Word or PDF format, prepare an introductory letter that includes only the following. You will upload this in our online application form:
- One paragraph explaining your motivation in applying for this role, and how your skills and experience are suited to the role.
- One paragraph outlining the key challenges in financial administration that a small organisation is likely to face as it grows rapidly.