The Ethical Recruitment Agency (TERA) is recruiting for a dynamic and impact-oriented Chief Executive Officer. Reporting to TERA’s Board of Directors, the CEO’s key priorities are to achieve business growth, develop and deliver new services, and position TERA as an industry leader in ethical recruitment. Competitive candidates will bring extreme strengths in entrepreneurship, business development, team management and communication.
This is a full-time position with profit-sharing incentives that can be based anywhere in the world. The CEO must be fluent in English.
TERA was founded in 2018 with the mission to help people and businesses benefit from safe migration. TERA is a migrant worker recruitment company that places people abroad following standards that exceed international best practices, including the Employer Pays principle and robust welfare monitoring. TERA works with companies to solve their manpower and compliance needs while also proving that ethical recruitment is commercially profitable. TERA works in the Middle East, South Asia, and Southeast Asia and our flagship recruitment hub is based in Uttar Pradesh, India. TERA is funded by commercial clients and nonprofit grants. To learn more about TERA, please visit https://ethicalrecruitmentagency.com/
TERA is a subsidiary of Seefar, a social enterprise with a vision of a world where vulnerable people have more opportunities to advance themselves. Seefar specialises in migration, justice and social inclusion and works in East Asia, South Asia, the Middle East, East Africa, North Africa, the Sahel and Europe. For more information about Seefar, please visit http://seefar.org/about-us
As TERA’s CEO, you will be responsible for advancing TERA’s mission and long-term growth. Your primary objective in this role is to grow TERA’s business, including securing new clients and revenue streams from commercial, government, and/or nonprofit sources. Secondary priorities include service development and delivery. You will manage TERA’s resources as you see fit to achieve those priorities, consulting with the Board of Directors for advice where necessary.
The following are the primary goals of the CEO position:
- Achieve Strategic Business Growth: You will secure new clients and revenue streams for TERA, with a priority on ramping up worker placements in the next 12 months. This may involve targeting new industries and geographies; transforming TERA’s sales processes and systems; and fundraising from government and non-profit sources.
- Lead Service Development & Delivery: You will develop and grow TERA’s suite of ethical recruitment services to drive business growth. This may involve strategy related to TERA’s existing contracts and worker placement rate; streamlining TERA’s current business processes to increase quality and efficiency while cutting costs; designing a new customer success strategy; and deploying human resources to ensure effective service delivery and business operations.
- Lead Business Operations: You will ensure that TERA’s global operations continue to enable effective delivery. This may involve, for example, risk assessments for entering new markets; designing legal strategy for international business; and developing new financial procedures that maximise efficiency.
- Drive Values-Based Culture: You will ensure TERA continues to have a mission-oriented environment and culture that places integrity and worker well-being and its core.
An Excellent Candidate
There is no perfect profile for this role – we are seeking a dynamic and entrepreneurial leader with at least 2-3 extreme strengths from the list below. Applicants from diverse backgrounds – or backgrounds that do not perfectly fit this profile – are strongly encouraged to apply. Here are some of the characteristics and skills that will help candidates succeed as the TERA CEO:
- Business development skills: You are a proven fundraiser with a track record of winning contracts and/or achieving profitable sales targets.
- Strategic leadership skills: You have a knack for articulating a vision and leading diverse teams to pursue goals in support of that vision. You can think and plan for the long-term while ensuring successful short-term delivery.
- Entrepreneurial skills: You are intrinsically motivated and highly outcome-oriented, with success stories about prior goals you have achieved. You are passionate about solving problems and bring excellent self-management skills.
- Management skills: You bring substantial experience in managing people, resources, and operations in complex environments. Previous experience leading a startup company is preferred but not required.
- Executive skills: You thrive in contexts with leadership and decision-making responsibility. You are comfortable jumping from a HR discussion to service development work to an external meeting in the same afternoon.
- Communication skills: Exceptional written and spoken English communication skills: You have the ability to write and speak to a variety of audiences.
- A social impact orientation: You are passionate about sustainable solutions to global human rights challenges, including forced labour.
Confirm you meet these minimum requirements for the TERA CEO position:
- At least 3-5 years experience in strategic leadership and management;
- Excellent leadership, entrepreneurial, and communication skills;
- A Masters degree (or undergraduate degree with two additional years of relevant experience)
- Complete fluency in oral and written English and excellent communication skills.
- Outcome-oriented and motivated to achieve social impact.
Pay and Benefits
This is a remote-working and full-time position with base pay starting at $5,000-$7,000 per month, subject to experience. The CEO will receive an initial contract of 18 months and the expectation is that this position will grow with TERA. The CEO will also receive profit-sharing incentives, unlimited and flexible time off, professional development opportunities and access to a professional mentor. Travel is expected for this position.
To Apply for this Role
On or before 28 September 2021, complete our online application form. Before you start, you should do the following:
- Prepare a CV in Word or PDF format. You will upload this in our online application form.
- In Word or PDF format, prepare an introductory letter that includes only the points below. You will upload this in our online application form.
- 1-2 paragraphs describing your professional working experience relevant to this role.
- 1 paragraph describing a leadership role you have held (for example, an innovation you launched, a program you managed, a team you have led, a company you managed, etc). Specifically, please describe a challenge you encountered in this role; your approach to overcoming the challenge, and your results/impact in addressing the challenge.