Seefar is seeking a mid-level Communications Officer with demonstrated experience working with NGOs/civil society/social impact enterprises and a strong interest in asylum, displacement and integration.
Seefar is starting a project in Jordan with the objective to permanently reduce barriers to legal stay and documentation in Jordan such that right holders, including women and youth, have sustained access to their broader rights and justice. The project will have 2 components:
- develop a communication platform and tools to communicate and share up-to-date information with right holders;
- develop IT applications for the Jordanian government in order to facilitate access to legal and administrative documentation (such as passports, birth certificates, marriage certificates, etc.).
As a Communications Officer you will work on various communication tasks providing support for the development of a communications platform and tools, online engagement strategies, creative products, PR and media strategies, copywriting and branding efforts. Your attention to detail, creative talent and ability to deliver will be highly valued, as is your complete fluency in written and spoken English. You will be based in Jordan, Amman.
You will report to the Project Manager. Other members of your team have a focus on: project management, digital transformation, monitoring and evaluation, strategic communication, web development, and data analysis.
You will start on a full-time, 9-month consulting contract with a fee range of USD 1,600 – 2,000 per month. The project will last until 2025, offering opportunities for extension upon successful completion of the contract.
We are a social enterprise with a mission to work with vulnerable people to build a better future. We work in East Asia, South Asia, the Middle East, East Africa, North Africa, the Sahel and Europe. For more information about us, please visit our website. This role will be part of a project that aims to provide inclusive and sustainable pathways to legal stay and basic legal rights for Syrian refugees in Jordan.
To succeed in this role, you must be motivated to work hard to lead the team to produce high quality communications content (including social media strategy and content, support the development of the communications platform, undertake data collection and do interviews to understand the best communication channels to use and the most appropriate information to share). It is likely that you have:
- At least 3 years of experience working in communications;
- Experience of working on developing website content and social media content;
- Implemented similar projects within public or private entities;
- Digital campaign and marketing experience;
- Effective prioritisation and organisational skills, with an ability to work under pressure with minimal supervision;
- Outstanding attention to detail;
- Interpersonal skills and an ability to coordinate with teams;
- Preferably thematic expertise in migration, displacement and/or livelihoods
- Proficiency in written and spoken English and fluency in Arabic
The following are the primary responsibilities of the role, with estimated allocations of time and attention.
DELIVER: COMMUNICATIONS PLATFORM
Approximately 90% of your time and attention will be focused on:
- Helping to implement online engagement strategies and PR and media strategies;
- Overseeing and developing content development for online platforms;
- Proofreading and editing content for digital platforms and ensuring quality control;
- Helping to develop creative communications products;
- Leading on digital analytics and adapting content based on digital insights;
- Capacity building for field teams on social media and media outreach;
- Contributing to donor reporting;
- Coordinating with the HQ project management team throughout the implementation of the project;
- Regularly reporting on the process of your work to your supervisor;
- Other communications-related tasks as required.
DIRECT: GLOBAL MANAGEMENT
Approximately 10% of your time and attention will be focused on:
- Representing and demonstrating the Enterprise’s values;
- Cooperating with other areas of Seefar, including to communicate substantive and administrative information that supports corporate management overall. For example, this would include ensuring effective internal reporting at the project and program level.
An Excellent Candidate
To excel in this role, you will have:
- a degree in communications or a development/humanitarian area.
- at least 3 years of experience working on communications, preferably in the humanitarian/development sector.
- you are highly organised, have the ability to prioritise and are highly productive.
- you are motivated by an Enterprise performance framework focused on social impact.
Working with Seefar
Current and former personnel have noted the points below as positive features of Seefar’s work environment and culture:
- The Enterprise combines entrepreneurialism with a focus on social impact.
- You work with highly diverse people and across a diversity of contexts.
- There is a high level of trust that supports you to work autonomously.
- The people in the Enterprise encourage innovation and experimentation.
- Achieving results is prioritised over rigid structures and workflows.
- You are never bored and always challenged.
Current and former personnel have noted the points below as negative features of Seefar’s work environment and culture:
- Collaborating with geographically dispersed teams requires flexibility and patience.
- Working remotely can make you feel isolated and so requires you to invest time in communication.
- Travel schedules can sometimes be heavy.
- It can be fast paced so you need to be productive and able to prioritise effectively.
To Apply for this Role
On or before May 18th, complete our online application form. Before you start, you should do the following:
- Prepare a CV in Word or PDF format. You will upload this in our online application form.
- In Word or PDF format, prepare an introductory letter that includes only the points below. You will upload this in our online application form:
- 1 paragraph about why your profile fits the role and why you would like to work for Seefar
- 1-2 paragraphs with an example of you having to develop communications tools. What was the context? What was your role? How did you decide on your methods? What was the result?
- 1 paragraph explaining a lesson you have learned about communications work in our sector.