As a Strategic Communications Officer at Seefar, you will be helping some of the most vulnerable people in the world achieve better outcomes. You will also be working on some of the most important issues of our time, including migration, modern slavery, social inclusion and the environment. This role will work on various communication projects providing input into behaviour change campaigns, online engagement strategies, creative products, PR and media strategies, copywriting and branding efforts across a number of countries. Your attention to detail, creative talent and ability to deliver will be highly valued, as is your complete fluency in written and spoken English. You can live wherever you like and will have the opportunity to travel. This is a full-time position for an initial 12 months.
We are a social enterprise with a mission to work with vulnerable people to build a better future. We specialise in migration, modern slavery, social inclusion and environment. Our expertise is in strategic communications, counselling, consulting, monitoring and evaluation, and research. For more information about us, please visit https://seefar.org/about/
This role demands someone who is smart, intrinsically motivated, worldly and interested in hard challenges. Seefar has a track record of delivering strategic communications projects in East Africa, West Africa, Europe, the Middle East and Asia on migration, modern slavery and social inclusion. Our strategic communications team is growing and this role will be part of that growth.
To get a sense of our strategic communications activities, see https://seefar.org/services/strategic-communications/.
To get a sense of the services we specialise in at Seefar, please visit https://seefar.org/services/.
To get a sense of the issues we work on at Seefar, please visit https://seefar.org/themes/.
As a Strategic Communications Officer you will work on a range of communication campaigns and behaviour change projects aimed at enhancing informed decision-making and reducing vulnerabilities across a number of countries.
We are looking for someone with:
- At least five years of experience working in strategic communications;
- Experience of working on behaviour change and/or communication campaigns;
- Digital campaign and marketing experience;
- Exceptional English writing skills with the ability to write for a variety of different platforms and audiences;
- Effective prioritisation skills; and
- Outstanding attention to detail.
The following are the primary responsibilities of the role, with estimated allocations of time and attention.
Deliver: Project and Mission Implementation
Approximately 80% of your time and attention will be focused on:
- Implementing communication and behavioural change campaign strategies.
- Helping to develop and implement online engagement strategies and PR and media strategies.
- Producing content for digital platforms and ensuring quality control.
- Helping to develop creative communications products.
- Engaging effectively with donors to communicate results and progress.
- Other tasks as required.
Develop: Capabilities and Program Portfolio
Approximately 15% of your time and attention will be focused on:
- Supporting the Strategic Communications Team to strengthen existing processes and develop team capabilities, including supporting recruitment efforts.
- Strengthening Seefar’s reputation and profile in strategic communications.
- Helping to build systems and processes that enable us to implement our work faster and more effectively.
- Participating in fundraising for Seefar. This includes building and maintaining contacts and networks with potential supporters and attending fundraising meetings.
Direct: Global Management
Approximately 5% of your time and attention will be focused on:
- Representing and demonstrating Seefar’s values.
- Cooperating with other Seefar teams, including to communicate substantive and administrative information that supports corporate management overall.
Working with Seefar
Current and former personnel have noted the points below as positive features of Seefar’s work environment and culture:
- The Enterprise combines entrepreneurialism with a focus on social impact.
- You work with highly diverse people and across a diversity of contexts.
- There is a high level of trust that supports you to work autonomously.
- The people in the Enterprise encourage innovation and experimentation.
- Achieving results is prioritised over rigid structures and workflows.
- You are never bored and always challenged.
Current and former personnel have noted the points below as negative features of Seefar’s work environment and culture:
- Collaborating with geographically dispersed teams requires flexibility and patience.
- Working remotely can make you feel isolated and so requires you to invest time in communication.
- Travel schedules can sometimes be heavy.
- A high-growth phase means problem-solving as the Enterprise’s systems evolve quickly.
- It can be fast paced so you need to be productive and able to prioritise effectively.
An Excellent Candidate
To excel in this role, you will have at least five years of experience working in strategic communications. You will have a relevant undergraduate degree as a minimum and will be confident implementing communication campaigns and behaviour change projects, developing content for online and offline platforms and copy writing. In addition, you will have thorough experience of digital platforms, including using social media tools for campaign purposes, driving online engagement, web and social media content development, social media marketing and providing analytics reports and recommendations for ways to improve digital presence.
Previous experience working on Seefar’s themes is preferable but not required. You will be highly organised and productive and have the ability to prioritise your work. You will be motivated to work for an Enterprise that is focused on achieving social impact.
To Apply for this Role
On or before 11 July 2021, complete our online application form. Before you start, you should do the following:
- Confirm you meet these minimum requirements:
- Relevant university degree
- 5+ years of experience working in strategic communications
- Extensive experience of working with digital communication platforms
- Exceptional English writing skills
- Effective prioritisation skills and highly productive
- Prepare a CV in Word or PDF format. You will upload this in our online application form.
- In Word or PDF format, prepare an introductory letter that includes only the points below. You will upload this in our online application form.
- One to three paragraphs describing your communications skill set and relevant work experience.
- Two paragraphs describing a communications campaign you have worked on, detailing your responsibilities, the objectives, activities and results achieved, as well as how you evaluated your results.